27 November 1998
Talks continue on banana dispute
US and European Union negotiators will continue their talks on Monday on how to resolve their banana dispute within the World Trade Organisation and avoid a trade war.
The USA has threatened punitive sanctions unless the European Union complies with a WTO ruling.
Both sides say they are prepared to abide by WTO procedures but they at loggerheads over the timing of a panel meeting to review the case.
- USA in banana talks with EU, FWi, yesterday (26 November, 1998)
- EU ready to do a deal over ACP bananas, FWi, 24 November, 1998
- US-EU banana battle reaches WTO, FWi, yesterday (23 November, 1998)
- “Banana war will go USAs way”, FWi, 18 November, 1998
- USA backs off from EU banana war, FWi, 17 November, 1998
- Financial Times 27/11/98 page 6 (News Digest)