YOUR PNEUMONIA KNOW-HOW COULD WIN WEIGHING KIT
You could win one of 8 vouchers for £1250-worth of Ritchey Tagg weighing
equipment, courtesy of Nuflor from Schering-Plough Animal Health. Just read the
text on this page, answer the question and fill in the coupon in the Dec 7 issue of FW
CALF pneumonia is never good news – it can cost you dearly in treatment and lost production. But you can profit from your pneumonia knowledge by winning one of eight £1250 vouchers for livestock equipment, courtesy of Nuflor, the once tried, always trusted antibiotic from Schering-Plough.
Just read the text over the next five weeks and answer the single question each week. Then fill in the coupon in the Dec 7 issue of farmers weekly. Eight lucky readers will receive a voucher for £1250 to spend on Ritchey Tagg weighing equipment.
The price of pneumonia
If pneumonia isnt tackled early and effectively, it will cause permanent damage to an animals lung. Any loss of lung capacity reduces the animals potential to grow, so livestock will take longer to reach their finishing or bulling target weights. That means higher production costs, lower productivity and smaller profits.
Costings by the Scottish Agricultural Colleges on 152 farms hit by actual outbreaks of pneumonia showed that the average cost of pneumonia was £63 for each sick animal. However, in the worst cases this cost could rise to £342. So total costs for 12 sick animals could be anywhere between £746 and £4104.
Treatment and mortality costs, which account for £33 of the £63 total, are highly visible at the time of a pneumonia outbreak. But, other hidden costs may be just as significant, especially over the whole growing period and the lifetime performance of the animal. These typically account for £30 of the £63 total and included lost production and extra labour costs.
Costs of retreatment
Thats not the end of the costs either. If your first-line treatment of pneumonia fails, the total cost of retreating each animal increases by an estimated 65% due to additional treatments, potential deaths, permanent lung damage and increased production costs caused by slower growth rates and increased feed requirements.
Taking the SAC results, this means extra pneumonia retreatment costs of £40/animal on top of the £63/animal already spent.
Now answer the question on this page and keep it in a safe place. Then look out for the question in each of the next four issues of FW and fill in the coupon in the Dec 7, 2001 issue.
What was the average cost of pneumonia for each
sick animal in the SAC survey?
Please keep a note of the answer and use it to fill in the coupon that will appear on the competition page in the Dec 7 issue of FW.
Win £1250-worth of
Ritchey Tagg Trutest quick and accurate livestock
weighing equipment – so
you can monitor how well
cattle recover after
treatment with Nuflor
• Proven first-line antibiotic for pneumonia.
• Effective against all major bacterial causes of pneumonia.
• No recorded resistance.
• Easy one-shot administration for up to five days cover.
• Farmers prefer Nuflor when treating pneumonia.
• Now available in extra-value 250ml bottles.
POM. Contains florfenicol. For further information and advice, consultyour veterinary surgeon.
Schering-Plough Animal Health, Breakspear Road South, Harefield, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB9 6LS
READ THE RULES
1. How are the 8 £1250 vouchers for Ritchey Tagg equipment to be won? Read the text and then study the question that will be published in each of the FW issues of Nov 9, 16, 23, 30 and Dec 7. There will be a chance to answer all five questions and complete the tie-breaker in the coupon in the Dec 7 issue.
2. The prize is one of 8 £1250 vouchers for Ritchey Tagg weighing equipment. No cash alternatives are available.
3. The decision of the judges and of the editor of FARMERS WEEKLY will in all matters be final and legally binding.
4. The completed entry forms are the property of FARMERS WEEKLY and Schering-Plough Animal Health.
5. The competition is open to all farmers andfarm managers in Great Britain.
6. The closing date for receiving completed coupons is Fri, Dec 21. They should be addressed to: FARMERS WEEKLY/Nuflor Competition, FARMERS WEEKLY, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS.